Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Learning about learning

Children learn in many different ways. Each child has a unique style of learning based on their intelligence and psychological factors. Some children learn by hearing what the teacher is telling them and then giving feedback. Some students like to think about what they've learned and they make sense of it on their own and other kids need to experience things with outside factors to learn.

I feel the best way to assess your students learning styles is by utilizing the online assessments that are available regarding learning styles. Through these personal quizzes you can assess and address each child's learning style and find ways to reach the majority of your students while teaching the group. If most of your kids learn best with hands on experience then you are not maximizing your lecture time by simply telling them information.

I am very hands on in my learning. I like to show the student what I'm doing step by step while explaining it at my pace. Then I hand over what I'm doing to the student and let them try to remember and figure it out with mistakes until they get it right. If they really need help I'll give them hints along the way. I feel this method helps students from all walks of foundations because I am verbalizing, getting feedback, and implementing a hands on approach.

No comments:

Post a Comment