Sunday, October 9, 2011

digital technology

I would love to have a classroom that uses graphics tablets instead of paper and pens. Actually, I think I'd like the students to use that concept, but with an Ipad. They could write, save, store, and share their assignments without using paper. This is kind of a mix of the graphics pad and the PDA. They could even do art class via the graphics tablet. That would save the school a lot of money in art supplies.

I would like the students to use the digital camera as well. I currently speak to a classroom in Salaverry, Peru via FB chat so they can chat with someone in English. My boyfriend is from that town and my Aunt used to live there so it holds a special spot in my heart. I started talking to my boyfriend's friend on facebook chat to practice my Spanish and he owns the English school in Peru. That is how that all came about. Anyway, if the students had webcams in the classroom they could participate in languages across the globe and other students could practice their English as well. It could be beneficial both for language and culture. I know I am learning a lot about Peru and we even have started sending care packages of traditional things from our towns.

I would love an electronic white board as well. Did you know there is a hack on the internet to turn your Wii into an electronic whiteboard? You could use graphics on the white board which would enhance the learning. You could draw on a diagram you teaching about. It would be very helpful and easy to clean!

Wireless devices would be wonderful as well. Wires bog you down and you can't move around to show your peers or your teacher what you are doing. You can't take your electronics on the go either. Imagine having a science class where we were using a wireless computer to look up types of plants or butterflies in the area. If you could take the computer outside to compare butterflies and plants as you look at them it would be so fun and informative. Especially while you click around after identifying them to find out more about them. For example after you identified a plant you could google what health benefits the plant has and how it can be used.

Ebooks are wonderful. A professor used a free E textbook last semester and I was so grateful for the money saved and also it made it so I could sneak in some school work at work. with the text book on the computer I didn't have to lug a book around or make it obvious I was reading for a class. I think it would be nice for the kids backs to have Ebooks. I remember lugging around LARGE textbooks in my backpack every day. It was awful.

2 comments:

  1. I think you have a lot of great ideas! That is something you should look into as a teacher someday. I know a lot of high schools right now have started using the ipads. My sister has one here at home and she never gets off it. I think its a really cool idea for their homework and other uses. Also, it's awesome that you video chat with people from Peru. That will really help you when finding a teaching job, having that experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the ideas in this blog. I think all of these types of technologies will benefit students in a dramatic way. Ebooks are awesome because =students do not have to carry around all their books and saves paper. I personaly love Ipads because they are a personal mini computer. You can search the internet, download books, and use all types of apps to help students learn.

    ReplyDelete