Thursday, October 20, 2011

Evaluations

There is a very important evaluation that is missing from the rubric; Ease of use. If something is complicated or takes too many steps to figure out then students get frustrated and want to stop using it instead of gaining knowledge from the software.

I think the most important evaluation points would be; Grade level because you don't want something above or below the abilities of the people you are trying to teach.
Active Learning because without interaction the site becomes boring.
Cost is a big issue with budget cuts.
Save features are important. If you are working on a project and get powered down or need to come back to it later it is very frustrating to have to start over again.
Hardware compatibility. Nothing is more annoying than needing to update adobe, flash, etc etc to use a program.

I chose Photoshop for graphics. This is a program where students can make flyers, stencils, edit photos, etc.
TypeMaster which is a game that I used growing up to learn how to type proper and not have to look at the keys or screen to type accurently. It also helps with typing speed.
Microsoft Office is very important for reports and powerpoints and it is a tool that can be transferred to real life experiences out of the classroom.

1 comment:

  1. Your blog considers less practical software than I did. I am a detail person. Being able to add flourishes to assignments through Photoshop would not only encourage creativity but also enable students to make their work look professional.It will also add another line in the their software skills resume'. Part of the goal here.
    I am not sure I would choose Type Master. I have never played but I am hoping to be able to give my students enough computer time to be able to develop those skills and familiarity with the keyboard so separate practice would not be necessary. It is all just theoretical classroom now though. Depending on student age, it may be exactly where I will need to start

    ReplyDelete